Monday, November 7, 2011

What is Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome?

Over two weeks ago I developed what initially was diagnosed as Bells Palsy - a paralysis of one side of the face.  It's not pretty... I even scare my own grandchildren.  I took the medications, rested, and tried to stay hopeful - but nothing seemed to be changing.  I then developed worse pain in my left ear that increased to the point it scared me.  I sought out another opinion from a new doctor, who (luckily) knew immediately what it was.

It's called Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome.  Extremely rare (of course) - fewer than 200,000 people in the US have ever had it (I'm honored, I'm sure)  To explain it simply, it is caused by shingles of the inner ear.  To give you the entire low-down - that can be found HERE.  What happens is the shingles virus attacks your inner ear, where the facial nerve passes through to control that side of your face.  In my case, my nerve was tested and they found that it is 91% damaged.  I'm in the process of finding out if I'm a candidate for a nerve decompression surgery - and if so, that will have to be done immediately to save what they can of the nerve before it dies completely.

I'm a firm believer in the power of the Priesthood, and I've been the recipient of Priesthood blessings.  That may seem a bit strange to some, but I have a testimony that if my faith is sufficient (and it's God's will) - I will heal enough to function as I did before.  I'm part of an amazing ward & stake that have been fasting & praying for me this past week.  I've also been touched to hear of people I do not even know who are adding their prayers to mine.  I'm so thankful for everyone - who I know and DON'T know - you are wonderful to be concerned.


2 comments: